Subjectblock driver clustered requests
After looking through the buffer cache code for a while, it seems that
make_request() will only cluster requests for certain types of deivces
(most notably the IDE and SCSI block devices). From what I can tell,
there should be no reason to preclude clustering for any block device.

So there must be something I'm missing. Why isn't clustering done for
all block devices? Is there some historical issue I'm unaware of? I'd
like to exploit request clustering in a block device driver I'm writing,
but don't want to muck with make_request() to do it, especially since
I'd like to have a dynamically allocated major number.

Thanks for any insights.

Bill Moore
HW/SW Engineer
3PARdata Inc.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.084 / U:0.232 seconds]