Subject

I've got some preliminary (read: unforgivably kludgey) code for a device
driver and filesystem for the Diamond Rio PMP300 portable mp3 players
at:
http://www.cs.stedwards.edu/~hazel/rio/

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to
answer:

- The Rio expects to communicate in blocks of 528 (512 + 16) bytes.
Since Linux expects device driver block sizes to be powers of 2, should
I just be using 1024-byte blocks and trashing the extra space above
528? Or is there a better way to do it?

- How should I be handling system-speed-independant timings in kernel
code (or if your answer is RTFM, where's the FM)?

- Would something this silly be worthy of inclusion in a future
(2.5.early, I assume) kernel release? The filesystem is certainly
ridiculous for use on anything but a Rio, but does provide the nicity of
mounting, and those Rios make pretty convient 32-64Mb portable storage.
I'd be amiable to supporting other brands of parellel-port-based
portable MP3 player if this stuff made it into the kernel proper
someday.

--
= Steven Hazel / steven.hazel@trilogy.com =