SubjectRe: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time
On Jan 7,  9:12pm, Guest section DW wrote:
> Subject: Re: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time
> From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@wserv.com>
>
> Has anyone noticed linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time? I
> posted a message on Tuesday at 2:18 PM, it actually came back to me
> Wednesday at 2:22, a little over 24 hours later. The headers indicate
> that the message was received by the destination mail server almost
> immediately.
>
> I've noticed a lot of posts on linux-kernel are replied to 6-7 times
> because of the delay between the first reply and the original post. For
> instance that person commenting on the Hz time printing got at least 15
> replies which all said exactly the same thing.
>
> Is there anything that can be done to speed things up?
>

> Yes - this slowness wasts a lot of developer time.
> Answer immediately and find that ten others did the same.
> Wait for a day and answer then, and find that five others did the same.
>
> In the good old days we had linux.* newsgroups with a delay between
> minutes and hours, against the present linux-kernel with a delay
> between hours and days.
>
> (Also, one receives mail out-of-order. The past weeks I have seen
> answers that arrived two days before the letter reacted to.)
>
> > Is there anything that can be done to speed things up?
>
> Convince David Miller that for linux-kernel being an order
> of magnitude faster is more important than having an order
> of magnitude less junk.
> (That is what I think, but maybe only few would agree.)
>
> Or flame people continuing long off-topic threads.

I am curious just how many bounces and bad addresses are on this list.

The perl5-porters list used to have this sort of turn around. It took a couple
of things to fix it.

1) Moving it to a Linux box from the Sun box it was on. (Something about the
crufty version of sendmail was making delivery very slow for some unknown
reason.) This required uping the file handles in the kernel by a fair amount,
but it works quite well.

2) Removing all the deadwood on the list. Everytime there is a non-existant
domain or account, mail gets delayed while the MTU tries to figure out what to
do with it. In most cases, the timeouts can be pretty large. Get enough of
them and list traffic can be delayed for hours and/or days, depending on where
you are on the list.

There are some tools that will speed things up further, but they tend to run
the system out of filehandles even faster without major kernel hacking.
(Bulkmailer seemed to work pretty well for that.)

Perl5-porters was running on a Pentium 75 with 80 megs of memory with a turn
around time of about 15-30 minutes after I got done with all the tweaks. (It
is now on something faster with less tweaks.)

--
Alan Olsen