SubjectMax. Physical Memory Amount
With a friend I've setup a 4 CPU Compaq Proliant 5500 (Don't pin me down
on that number, I'd have to recheck; it's just some rack mounted high
availability hardware) using a standard 2.0.36 based linux distrib. Well,
we added the new Compaq diskarray driver (had to use a little bit older
diskarray controller, as that is the only one supported), and the machine
now nicely works under linux standalone on a part (48gig) of an external
Raid-5 drive bay.

Problem is, the kernel explicitly refuses to accept more than 1Gig of
main memory.

Now, my question is: Is there a very good reason for this (I can see you
might not get 4G of physical memory for some reasons, but I'd have
expected at least 3G to work.) ?

I checked the source, and it appears to be a simple sanity check in
head.c. Can I savely remove it, what is the highest memory amount I can
hope to work w/o a crash?

I noticed the decent development kernels handel this different. It seems
they would go almost up to 4GB. Is that right?

Even if so, I'd be happy if I could avoid installing yet another kernel on
that machine (I don't want be forced to modify the rest of the
installation due to 2.0 2.2 incompats), so if hacking the 2.0.36 would
work I'd be more happy.

Is there anyone out with an advice to us?

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,
or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on