SubjectRe: AIMS Labs radio card: frequency limit
> Probably a better choice would be for the kernel to assume that it
> can, and report an error if the hardware says otherwise, at least as
> far as that is possible...

That assumes that the radio card is able to indicate that a frequency is
unattainable. Unfortunately, when it comes to tuning, these things are
pretty stupid and don't report much back. The aztech, aimslab, and cadet
radio cards all suck down tuning bits but only the cadet will let you read
them back.

For most of these things, a human has to be in the loop doing experiments
to figure out exactly what the limits are. There are also modifications
possible to these cards that will alter the range, so a fixed value isn't
always good either.

I imagine that allowing "freqlow" and "freqhigh" as options for
insmod/modprobe would allow users in various locations to try different
frequencies to see what happens. This is obviously out of the question
right now, so I will pursue it when 2.3 development starts. It keeps the
idea of "let clued people change values" alive, which is always a good
thing.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.083 / U:1.040 seconds]