    SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
    On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Nathan Hand wrote:

    > The other obvious reason that SCO wants UDI to succeed is that Linux
    > has tonnes of drivers and SCO does not, and SCO wants to invent some
    > plausible way of leeching off the Linux drivers.
    > Of course, I am just being argumentative, because I actually support
    > UDI, because it will let me install Solaris on more hardware, and it
    > will help UNIX in general (even if not specifically Linux).

    Currently, the main (management) argument against Unix is:
    "You're in a maze of twisty Unices, all incompatible."

    With ia64 and UDI the Unix vendors (seem to) want to change
    that to:
    "You're in a maze of twisty Unices, all interchangeable."

    Once we reach that last situation, Unix _will_ once again
    have a major non-techical selling point; _the_ selling point
    that is now used against Unix by non-technical folks in
    management and sales... All in all, it will save a lot of
    sysadmins ;)

    Rik.