SubjectRe: Linux, UDI and SCO.
Alan,

I can't argue with you because I mostly agree with your opinion.
My only point was "if there is something useful in this - take it. otherwise
- ignore it" - very simple and pragmatical :) (e.g. in order to make use of
Olicom's token ring cards at home I used the binary (non-GPL) driver. I didn't
care (in that context, not generally!) whether it was GPL or not as long as it
worked and there was nothing GPL'ed that would replace it).

So, if introduction of UDI gives hardware vendors an excuse to justify
not-releasing the specs that is very bad. But it is better than having neither
excuses, nor specs, nor UDI (non-GPL) binary drivers...

Regards,
------ -------- --------- -------- -- - -- ---- --
Tigran A. Aivazian | http://www.sco.com
Escalations Research Group | tel: +44-(0)1923-813796
Santa Cruz Operation Ltd | Email: tigran@sco.com

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > SCO strongly supports the growth of standards-based computing and
>
> Oh good, then as one of the major founder members of the I2O cabal does that
> mean they'll be trying to get I2O made open ?
>
> > encouragement of open systems development. SCO, with Intel and Project UDI,
> > will support the open source community by working to ensure that UDI works
> > on the Linux operating system.
>
> "We'd like to fill your truely free OS with binary drivers and ruin things"
> is at least one take on the potential _effect_ of such things regardless of
> good intentions that may exist. Now there are easy ways to counteract that
> one is to ensure the code that Linux UDI modules are _linked_ with is
> all GPL.
>
> > Anderson continued, "The Linux and open source movements are powerful
> > forces in the industry that are creating a huge resurgence in the interest
>
> "Help help we're being overrun" ;)
>
> UDI does actually seem to have some technical problems with Linux paticularly
> on the infrastructure side. It's visibly designed for things that are at
> least common in their core interfaces (ie they run a V7 derived unix core
> with BSD nailed on streams or similar networking stack)
>
> The networking one shows up elsewhere - At one point I was trying to build
> an NDIS5 layer for Linux but NDIS has the 'multiple buffers per packet'
> religion built into it, even though the rest of it is credibly portable.
>
> Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.201 / U:0.124 seconds]