    SubjectDifferences in IP-Aliasing between 2.0.x and 2.1.x

    we have a configuration, where a server is accessed only by its
    "virtual" IP-Interface
    eth0:0 we set up using the IP aliasing feature of the kernel. This works
    fine in both 2.0.x and
    2.1.x ! However, there are some differences, I don´t understand and I
    found nearly nothing in
    the documentation. Under 2.0.x I do an "ifconfig -a" and all interfaces
    are displayed, under
    2.1.x only the main interface eth0 appears, I have to do an explicit
    "ifconfig eth0:0" to see
    the parameters of the interface.
    Under 2.0.x it was possible to set up an interface with status "down"
    and enabling it with "ifconfig eth0:0 up", this is no longer possible
    with 2.1.x, I have to set up the interface with full IP address.
    A netstat no longer displays the alias name, in the IFace field of the
    routing table, there´s
    always the main interface eth0, so it´s hard to distinguish between the
    two interfaces, if there
    are different routings for them.
    We also set up an automounter for home directories of our users. In
    2.0.x the automounter
    recognizes, that the virtual interface is in fact the local machine and
    creates a link instead
    of a NFS mount. The 2.1.x behaves different and this is a real pain,
    since I know about the
    unreliability of the autofs code in 2.0.x, one should really use 2.1.11x
    but I also need this
    feature since I don´t want local directories accessed via NFS.

    Sorry, if this is the wrong list for asking these questions, but I don´t
    know a better one.

    Dr. Patrick Frisch
    A.I.S. GmbH, Wasserstr. 219, 44799 Bochum
    Tel.: 0234/9734-542

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:7.816 seconds]