    SubjectRe: 2.0.35 and 2.0.36-pre7 w/multicast dies
    > > > kernel: net_timer: timer expired - reason 0 is unknown
    > wasn't recompiled. I use cipe (the Crypto IP Encapsulation) on this box to
    > have a VPN across the internet, and I didn't recompile it after enabling
    > multicasting.
    > As adding multicasting grows the struct sock by 16 bytes, the cipe module and
    > the kernel were exchanging mismatched struct sock. Hence the strange things
    > on 2.0.3{5,6-pre7}. I'm amazed it didn't die more quickly of didn't oops...

    I had precisely the same problem over a year ago, when I developed
    that module, and made exactly the same config change. ;-) Only that I
    blamed that on a possible bug in CIPE which I hunted for a day or two
    to no effect...

    The timer field in struct sock gets overwritten with some other stuff
    by the mismatching module and the kernel tries to invoke a bogus
    timer. If it was another field, it could have been a series of Oopses,
    kernel panic, etc.

    > Sometimes I just hate modules :-)

    This way I learnt what MODVERSIONS is for. It is additional hassle to
    compile but it prevents this kind of errors...

    olaf

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:30.480 seconds]