SubjectSMP & Intel DK440LX Update

Sorry I was away this last weekend so here is an update:

The following list is the people who have a SMP bootup problem on
kernels > 2.1.109. The one common thread is an Intel DK440LX Motherboard.

Heikki Hannikainen <>

Processors: (2) P-II 333 (Assuming Deschutes - mgm)
Memory: Unknown
Bios Patch: Unknown

Troy <>

Processors: (2) P-II 233Mhz (Assuming Klamath - mgm)
Memory: 128M
Bios Patch: Unknown

Processors: (2) P-II 300Mhz (Klamath - Stepping 04)
Memory: 128M
Bios Patch: 09

Boots from IDE but all Linux partitions are on SCSI
2.1.115 will not boot even with no-hlt single - crashes
randomly after mounting FS

Matthew G. Marsh <>

Processors: (2) P-II 333 (Deschutes)
Memory: 512M ECC
Bios Patch: 09

Boots off of IDE with Linux on both IDE & SCSI

Information on the Intel DK440LX Motherboard

Integrated on-board dual (2) AIC7895 UW
Integrated on-board Intel EtherExpress Pro/100
Integrated on-board Crystal Audio CS4236B

One of the notes from the Intel site that I am currently trying
to see if I have a problem with is the following:

IRQ9 cannot be re-assigned

IRQ9 is not available to assign to ISA add-in cards
because it is dedicated to the power management function
of the PIIX4 controller on the motherboard. This is true for
other motherboards which use the 82371AB PIIX4

I am looking at this because on the APIC changes in 110 I get
different lines for the 09 APIC line between 109 and 110.

Probably barking into the wrong bush....

Some further info:

Checked with Leonard N. Zubkoff <> about the Xeon
APIC changes and received the following reply:

>Pretty much all the diffs I saw in 2.1.110 were in the files:
> include/asm-i386/irq.h
> arch/i386/kernel/io_apic.c
> arch/i386/kernel/irq.h
> arch/i386/kernel/irq.c
> arch/i386/kernel/smp.c
> arch/i386/mm/init.c
>I'd check there for the likely source of problems.
> Leonard

So I am currently trying to look through these bit by bit. One
problem with just reverting these changes is the introduction of
the new array for use with "current" (ex: need_resched is now
current->need_resched and need_resched is now a member of task_struct
instead of an independant definition). Also several definitions
now run as long long instead of int to allow for the 64 Irq setup
of the quad Xeon stuff. Unfortunately I am not a programmer to
the level I would want to be and I am slogging.

If you have any insights, corrections, etc. please let me know
and watch out for the reply-to-all as I am including several
people into this missive.

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems, LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha NE 68104
Phone: (402) 553-2288

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.043 / U:8.648 seconds]