    SubjectSMP & Intel DK440LX Update

    Sorry I was away this last weekend so here is an update:

    The following list is the people who have a SMP bootup problem on
    kernels > 2.1.109. The one common thread is an Intel DK440LX Motherboard.

    Heikki Hannikainen <>

    Processors: (2) P-II 333 (Assuming Deschutes - mgm)
    Memory: Unknown
    Bios Patch: Unknown

    Troy <>

    Processors: (2) P-II 233Mhz (Assuming Klamath - mgm)
    Memory: 128M
    Bios Patch: Unknown

    Processors: (2) P-II 300Mhz (Klamath - Stepping 04)
    Memory: 128M
    Bios Patch: 09

    Boots from IDE but all Linux partitions are on SCSI
    2.1.115 will not boot even with no-hlt single - crashes
    randomly after mounting FS

    Matthew G. Marsh <>

    Processors: (2) P-II 333 (Deschutes)
    Memory: 512M ECC
    Bios Patch: 09

    Boots off of IDE with Linux on both IDE & SCSI

    Information on the Intel DK440LX Motherboard

    Integrated on-board dual (2) AIC7895 UW
    Integrated on-board Intel EtherExpress Pro/100
    Integrated on-board Crystal Audio CS4236B

    One of the notes from the Intel site that I am currently trying
    to see if I have a problem with is the following:

    IRQ9 cannot be re-assigned

    IRQ9 is not available to assign to ISA add-in cards
    because it is dedicated to the power management function
    of the PIIX4 controller on the motherboard. This is true for
    other motherboards which use the 82371AB PIIX4

    I am looking at this because on the APIC changes in 110 I get
    different lines for the 09 APIC line between 109 and 110.

    Probably barking into the wrong bush....

    Some further info:

    Checked with Leonard N. Zubkoff <> about the Xeon
    APIC changes and received the following reply:

    >Pretty much all the diffs I saw in 2.1.110 were in the files:
    > include/asm-i386/irq.h
    > arch/i386/kernel/io_apic.c
    > arch/i386/kernel/irq.h
    > arch/i386/kernel/irq.c
    > arch/i386/kernel/smp.c
    > arch/i386/mm/init.c
    >I'd check there for the likely source of problems.
    > Leonard

    So I am currently trying to look through these bit by bit. One
    problem with just reverting these changes is the introduction of
    the new array for use with "current" (ex: need_resched is now
    current->need_resched and need_resched is now a member of task_struct
    instead of an independant definition). Also several definitions
    now run as long long instead of int to allow for the 64 Irq setup
    of the quad Xeon stuff. Unfortunately I am not a programmer to
    the level I would want to be and I am slogging.

    If you have any insights, corrections, etc. please let me know
    and watch out for the reply-to-all as I am including several
    people into this missive.

    Matthew G. Marsh, President
    Paktronix Systems, LLC
    1506 North 59th Street
    Omaha NE 68104
    Phone: (402) 553-2288

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.031 / U:0.692 seconds]