SubjectRe: PnP
Hello,

> That's fine. If somebody quotes me, I'd like to clarify that one thing
> that I want to happen is that the Linux "PnP" code should really make
> sense from a completely non-PC-world standpoint too.
>
> So what I'm looking for is more of a "framework for autodetection" where
> PnP would strictly be relegated to just be one particular way of finding
> out information for the larger framework.

What about adding a new ELF section containing driver descriptions? Each
driver would advertise a set of device IDs it's able to handle (either PCI
IDs, PnP IDs, Zorro bus IDs and so on) plus pointers to initialization
functions and the system would take care of the autodetection itself.

The structure can contain other useful information -- for example command
line arguments handled by the driver. This way we would get all information
related to single driver moved to source of the driver -- no more pieces
of code in init/main.c and various Space.c-like initialization lists.

This would also make linked-in drivers and modules similar to each other
and simplify hot-plugging of devices as well -- depmod would just scan all
existing modules for lists of supported device IDs and if some hotplugd
detects a new device, it just calls modprobe with ID of that device and
the correct driver gets loaded.

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep."