SubjectRe: PnP

> What about adding a new ELF section containing driver descriptions? Each
> driver would advertise a set of device IDs it's able to handle (either PCI
> IDs, PnP IDs, Zorro bus IDs and so on) plus pointers to initialization
> functions and the system would take care of the autodetection itself.
>
> The structure can contain other useful information -- for example command
> line arguments handled by the driver. This way we would get all information
> related to single driver moved to source of the driver -- no more pieces
> of code in init/main.c and various Space.c-like initialization lists.
>
> This would also make linked-in drivers and modules similar to each other
> and simplify hot-plugging of devices as well -- depmod would just scan all
> existing modules for lists of supported device IDs and if some hotplugd
> detects a new device, it just calls modprobe with ID of that device and
> the correct driver gets loaded.

This sounds very much like what I'd like to head towards with my configuration
manager... At the moment each driver has a table of tags (Device IDs of
various types including PnP and PCI) that the cmgr uses to select a driver to
associate with a device. What I'm ultimately intending was for this to be
stored such that kerneld/kmod could view the tags table whilst it was stored
in a module file.

Of course, I haven't gotten that far yet, but the framework is there.

David Howells

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.203 / U:0.508 seconds]