    SubjectRe: Full duplex in sound driver?
    On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

    > > > Can you elaborate? Is there crosstalk between the input and output, or
    > > > other such hardware limitations?
    > >
    > > You are stuck with 8bit in one direction, 16bit in the other, the
    > > two channels arent that independant on rates etc either
    > Are you saying that the samples are limited to 8 bit one way and 16
    > the other way?
    > Or are you just saying that there are twice as many DMA cycles in one
    > direction?

    Nope, you get 8bit/sample in one direction and 16bits/sample in the other.

    It's good enough for internet phone apps.

    > > Within the limits its still very useful and I consider it a flaw
    > > we dont support it. Its well good enough for stuff like internet voice
    > > apps
    > I had a quick play with 8 bit voice and there was a bit of
    > distortion. With 16 bits it was fine. Haven't had time to play with it
    > any further, though.

    Voice is okay with linear 8 bits. But it would be nice if the SB16 could
    at least do 16bit linear and give 8bit ulaw, that sounds quite a bit
    better. Oh well..

    What cards does Linux support full duplex on?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:13.788 seconds]