SubjectRe: Full duplex in sound driver?
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 wrote:

>> You are stuck with 8bit in one direction, 16bit in the other, the two
>> channels arent that independant on rates etc either
>> Within the limits its still very useful and I consider it a flaw
>> we dont support it. Its well good enough for stuff like internet voice
>> apps
>It is also good for multitrack recording, as long as the 16 bit is used for the
>incoming information, and 8 bit for the less essential (in this case) outgoing sound. I
>personally would like to see full duplex support for SB in the kernel. It would be one
>less reboot to window$....

Agreed completely. Full duplex is necessary in Linux by default
IMHO. With option of what gets the 16 bit part, recording or
playback. For multitrack, obviously one would want 16 bit

Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS.