SubjectRe: NFS Data CORRUPTION Between Linux and SunOS 5.5.1
Date
: This is a very puzzling bug. We do NOT see corruption when we link
: directly to the local hard drive and we don't see corruption when
: we NFS mount another 2.1.102 Linux box and link on its file system.
:
: The only corruption occurs when running 'ld' under 2.1.102 (or

I've seen (and fixed) this sort of bug before - SunOS itself had this
problem. I don't know if this is the same but I'll bet it is similar.

The problem is that 'ld' seeks around and patches up the file. It's one
of the few regularly used programs that do anything other than simple
sequential writes.

How I tracked it down on SunOS was to strace the ld program that caused
the proplem and pull out the system calls which did file I/O and made
a simple C program that generated the same sequence of I/O calls.
Fortunately, at that time, ld did not use mmap() to write the file -
if that is the case now, that makes it much harder to simulate.

Anyway, take your test program and put well known patterns in the buffer
before each write and then run the program over ext2fs. Save the resulting
file as "good". Then do the same thing over NFS to the Solaris server and
on the Solaris box compare "good" and "bad" and see if they are different.
If not, try the compare on the Linux client (to narrow it down to the
Linux client cache or the Linux/Solaris NFS interactions).

Also - one other thought - see if the problem occurs when you use 8K write
blocks on the Linux clients. If you are already, try 1K and see what that
does.

--lm

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.055 / U:0.076 seconds]