    SubjectRe: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled...BLAH...BLAH...

    In message <>, "James H. Cloos Jr." writes:

    > Linus> Another difference is that
    > Linus> we react to interrupts a lot faster under SMP.
    > Perhaps, since the problem seems dependent on both DMA and SMP, the
    > real differnece is IO-APIC vs XT-PIC?

    I think what we are finding out in the 2.1 kernel is just how bad
    the quality of PeeCee hardware is. I have know that all along,
    but I think the problems in 2.1 are often the hardware's fault.

    A lot of commercial OS offerings are tuned ``slow'' for this reason.
    Its not always because they suck... :)

    The hardware is often incredibly marginal and rarely is a PeeCee
    motherboard within specifications all around. I often marvel that
    Linux or any other OS runs as well as they do.

    Since PCI and PlugNPlay... I have yet to setup a PeeCee where any
    one is not night and day different from another. Setting them up
    is a black art.

    csh - - Dilbert is one of my coworkers...
    "Those who trade liberty for security will have neither -- B.F."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.027 / U:7.488 seconds]