Subjectmissing /proc/sys/dev/*
> > I was just reading cdrom.c, when I saw there should be a file
> > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info, listing information about the CD drives (like
> > whether door locking is supported, drive speed etc.).
> >
> > My /proc/sys/dev is empty.
> >
> > The strings I would expect ("CD-ROM information", "drive name:", "drive
> > speed:" etc.) are present in the kernel image.
> >
> > I'm using kernel 2.1.105, and the IDE CD driver is compiled in (not a
> > module). Perhaps there's something up with the initialisation order?
> >
> > -- Jamie
> >

> Well, /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info will only show up when cdrom.o is loaded
> as a module, or compiled in. I havn't tried compiling ide-cd or cdrom
> into the kernel for quite a long while now. Can others verify that they
> also see this problem? Oh, one other thing... Do you have CONFIG_SYSCTL
> enabled? This file will only show up in proc if you have CONFIG_SYSCTL
> turned on.
>
> -Erik

Out of curiosity, I looked, and I do not show anything in /prov/sys/dev/*
either.

selected lines from the .config that was used to compile the currently running
kernel
(2.1.106-ac4)

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y

# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set

CONFIG_SYSCTL=y

These appear to be the only relevant options. As you can see, ide-cd is compiled
in, and it must really be in there :) since I have no cdrom.o or idecd.o or
anything similar anywhere in /lib/modules/2.1.106/* and can use my cd for
iso-9660 and audio
just fine. I don't know how to verify the functioning of SYSCTL, but I'm not
having any problems with anything working. (sound apps, X, ppp, printing, even
the Joystick
on my PAS) Except possibly kmod. I don't have anything I use much compiled as a
module since I haven't puzzled out how to change my bootscripts (RH5) for it
(all I've done so far is to wrap a 2.1.* detector around starting kerneld to
skip it.)

--

Brian~