SubjectRe: loop.c: DES bugfixes
Oskar Pearson <oskar@is.co.za> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Please read this mail if you are using the filesystem encryption option
> in Linux. It appears that there is a serious flaw in the DES code...
>
> A while ago (7th May) Solar Designer (solar@false.com) sent some mail
> to linux-kernel. I didn't see any followup mail, but I have decided
> to work through his message and confirm that there are problems. It's
> important that these be sorted out before Linux-2.2 is released, otherwise
> people plugging stuff into the kernel are going to be completely
> stuffed. Solar Designer's patch is at Message-Id:
> <199805070756.LAA01136@false.com>
>
> I have updated the patches that he referred to (from berkeley.edu)
> to work with the latest 2.0.* kernel. They are available from
> ftp://ftp.is.co.za/linux/local/kernel/crypto/

There is also another set of patches for the loop device, written by
Andrew Mileski. These patches move all cryptography out of the loop
device itself, enabling the data transformation/crypto to be compiled
into separate modules, which seems like a sensible idea.

The original patches, including a patch for mount, are available from:

ftp://fractal.mta.ca/pub/users/aem/crypto/

I've updated the *-kernel and *-crypto patches to work with 2.1.108.
I'll make these updates available from:

ftp://mail1.bet1.puv.fi/incoming/

I think the *-kernel patch could safely be merged with the mainstream
kernel (this includes the XOR-encryption). The *-crypto patch contains
serious cryptography such as IDEA and CAST, and probably suffer from
those silly and annoying export restrictions. Note that the patches
remove DES (it should be moved to a separate file instead, with the
Berkeley patches applied).

I did not manage to patch /usr/src/linux/arch/m68k/config.in at all.

[...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.515 / U:0.244 seconds]