Subject2.1.104-pre1 - *Still* GPFs
Well I poseted yesterday about 2.1.103 GPFing on me upon partition check.
One person suggested that I upgraded to 2.1.104. I read through the
patchfile and it didn't look like it would help as it didn't touch the
line, or even the file in which the kernel is crashing on me -- but I
tried it anyway and, surprise, same thing, same place.

I'll post again for any kernel developer that actually wants to help
investigate -- I only got one reply asking me to try something, and he
suggested running it through ksymoops to provide more help .. I have two
questions though, where can I obtain ksymoops, and will it really help
since it is a General protection fault and not an oops?

Anyway for those that didn't read my other message here is a snippet from
it:

According to my System.map the EIP matched the function find_buffer() in
fs/buffer.c. Using the incredibly non-real-programmer technique of
placing a printk(" *1*"); printk(" *2*"); etc. after every line. So the
offending line is 575, and it reads: next = tmp->b_next;

Please help me to get this to work! I don't have the hard disk space or
the time to go back and recompile every kernel between 2.0.33 and 2.1.103
to find out which one introduced the problem, as I'm still a student. In
any event this Shouldn't Happen(tm) so someone PLEASE help me to get it to
work.

My other message shows my bootup screen (for 2.1.103)
a URL for an archived copy of my message yesterday is:
http://www.linuxhq.com/lnxlists/linux-kernel/lk_9806_01/msg00390.html
(the subject is 2.1.103 - GPF on parition table processing (on bootup))

Please help, as I'd like to both get a goodcutting edge kernel working, as
well as contribute my part to the development.

Thanks sincerely,
James S. Blachly
jblachly@insolwwb.nospam.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.049 / U:0.208 seconds]