SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability

Michael Marxmeier writes:
> Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:26:14 +0200, Michael Marxmeier <mike@msede.com>

>>> There are two levels of LVM on HP-UX:
>>
>>> 1. The basic LVM functionality is to provide a virtual block device
>>> (logical volumes) and also provides some RAID levels. Resizing of
>>> filesystem requires unmounting and using the extendfs utility.
>>
>> md already provides the ability to do much of this. The question is
>> whether we need to actually resize existing [virtual] block devices:
>
> LVM extends on the capabilities of MD.
> - MD is limited to block devices whereas LVM is much more flexible
> to support non-continguous devices as well.
> - standard administration
> - the LVM design could more easily extended
>
> I would like MD to be replaced by LVM.

MD can provide the real block devices.

LVM can be a user-space abstraction. All your admin tools would
work in terms of an LVM, perhaps defined in /etc/lvm.conf.
The kernel filesystem code uses multiple block devices, but you
don't have to know that.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.264 / U:0.160 seconds]