SubjectRe: Everyone needs a Tutorial on LVM (to dispell some myths)
On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Chris Siebenmann wrote:

> People (including me) want to do operations such as growing a disk (or
> a disk set) in the middle of a filesystem. They don't want to add parts

You cant, unless you do it in the LVM and make it transparent to the FS.
Otherwise, as you mentioned, it becomes too complex.

> of a new, larger disk to the end of the filesystem, because that both
> obscures what is going on and causes undesirable performance impacts. If
> the LVM abstraction you like cannot handle this, I think it is a bad LVM
> abstraction and should be replaced by a better one, even if that better
> one requires deep filesystem cooperation.

Be reasonable. It has not been historically the job of any existing FS to
do this sort of thing, and having no previous implementations to model
after, I think I can say you're out of luck for a while. BTW, LVM can
grow quite effectivly, just not how you want to "bloat" it, and the FS
that has to use it.

> I want Linux to be able to support huge filesystems that grow smoothly
> over years of service, with all the disks in them eventually being
> replaced by larger disks and so on, with the filesystem never having to
> be taken down for backup & restore, and the performance being preserved.
> (This describes news servers, for example.)

You can do this... I suggest using striping, also. When using simple
RAID0, you would normally want contiguous physicall extents.

We have many HPs with gigantic Oracle DBs on them, and we do just fine
with the LVM Veritas has implemented. We follow the rules of reason, and
keep the abstraction where it should be. Your unwillingness to manage
resources intelligently is not a reason to complexify the connection
between FS and LVM.

> - cks

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.128 / U:0.068 seconds]