SubjectRe: Sendmail 8.9.0 claims a Linux kernel bug
On 24 Jun 1998, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> >From the Sendmail 8.9.0 Known Bugs List:
> * accept() problem on Linux.
> Apparently, the accept() in sendmail daemon loop can return ETIMEDOUT
> and cause sendmail to sleep for 5 seconds during which time no new
> connections will be accepted. An error is reported to syslog:

> What is going on here? This is a heavily loaded mail server. Is
> this really a Linux kernel bug?

Apparently. Sendmail() expects to see EWOULDBLOCK even though the
socket has not been set to non-blocking. The kernel returns ETIMEDOUT
if no resources are presently available. I know what my Sun does
under these conditions, but I don't think a kernel crash is the
correct response either!

Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.105 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).