SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions
On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 01:08:53AM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <Pine.HPP.3.91.980610232831.19714A-100000@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es>
> By author: German Jose Gomez Garcia <mat006@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Well, I write to this list because I don't know where to write about it,
> > as it seems than the original e2fsprogs developers have abandoned it, so
> > the question is:
> > Is anybody currently working on it?, I had horrible problems with
> > partitions bigger than 2Gbytes, and the problem seem to be with the
> > e2fsprogs and not with the kernel. Somebody told me about a beta version
> > that solves these problems, but I wasn't able to find it. Any info would
> > be very appreciated.
> >

> This problem has been solved for well over three years. Any e2fsprogs
> 1.0 or later should be 2GB-clean, *unless* your libc is ancient
> (pre-libc5) and doesn't contain llseek().

... or you're using glibc 2.0 which doesn't have a prototype for llseek
such that the seek offset is being passed to the kernel as a sign extended
32 bit offset.

It happend because the glibc people, in particular Ulrich Drepper, refuse
to add these prototypes to the glibc headers because llseek isn't part of
any standard.

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.152 / U:0.176 seconds]