SubjectRe: Cyrix 6x86
> I'll believe you there.  *BUT* this needs to be documented in big red
> letter somewhere: DON'T SUSPEND-ON-HALT. *However* it seems that many
> people really really like Suspend-on-halt because it keeps their
> processors cooler than the summer sidewalk in new york; it seems being
> safe and allowing people to use power-saving on their CPUs is not so
> unreasonable an option.
>
> I'll leave this choice up to the Cyrix community. At the moment Linus has
> implemented 'prevent-the-Oops,' which I think is a reasonable decision.

Let's leave this choice to the Cyrix user. The CPU reports "have TSC",
well, be it so, unless a kernel option says "suspend-on-halt".
The tiny Cyrix specific code to 1) clear the TSC capability flag 2) turn
on suspend-on-halt could probably go into the initialization section, so
that even AMD and Intel users wouldn't complain. The only choice we
*should* make is what the default for a user who doesn't care should be.

Now it is time to write in big red runes "your kernel needs to know
about SOH in advance" on every utility able to tweak the 6x86.

Jirka

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.663 / U:1.108 seconds]