SubjectRe: Boot Logo Thoughts (LONG)

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Phil's Kernel Account wrote:

> Next up, image format. I'd prefer to go with GIF/JPEG. We're not trying to
> make a work of art here. Some quality/color loss really is no big deal.
> Plus, a GIF/JPEG is almost definitely going to be smaller than a BMP, at
> least IME. :)

You're better off using neither of these formats, but instead use
a simple video specific format that requires no decoding. This is
the easiest way to keep the "feature" under 100 bytes. A GIF/JPEG
decoder would easily surpass such modest requirements.

> First off, WTF is with this elitist attitude?!? Why the HELL shouldn't Joe
> User be using Linux, even if he doesn't understand what's flying by at
> boot? That's bloody assinine to think that. Even worse to actually come
> out and SAY IT. The first time *I* started Linux, I wasn't quite sure what
> was scrolling by at boot. I see absolutely NO reason why Joe User
> shoudln't use Linux. It's a hell of a lot better than the current popular
> alternative.
>
> Second, what's wrong with eye candy? I like pretty pictures. Just because
> YOU want to stick to your CLI (FYI; I don't use X) doesn't mean we should
> ALL be trapped that way. Joe User is going to want a friendly, simple to
> learn environment. Not this "[root@localhost /root]#" stuff the first
> time. He's going to want something like X. (Which is easy to do; just
> change default runlevel to xdm's;) And he's going to freak when he sees
> all this stuff scrolling by. He doesn't know what it is, so why subject
> him to it?
>
> Finally, What's so bad about it period? It'd be an option, NOT a reqiured
> thing. You can use it, or you can choose not to. It's entirely up to you.
> I'm not going to take away your choice. Nothing wrong with eye candy, as I
> said before, and nothing wrong with the option of disabling it.

The problem isn't about the eye candy, but about the necessity of
it being in the kernel. You can implement a similar functionality
using a loglevel feature in the kernel and modifying boot loaders
to display the splash.

This keeps the GIF/JPEG decoder out of the kernel, and a loglevel
feature will benefit the "splashies" as well as people who need a
way of reducing the amount of clutter produced on the screen (for
production machines or whatever).

Plus the loglevel patch already exists.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.476 / U:0.040 seconds]