SubjectRe: Linux-privs

> The number of B1 certified Unices is quite low. I only know of
> Trusted Solaris (Sun has some page outlining the capabilites online)
> and Trusted IRIX (full manuals user and admin online at SGI).

Digital Unix
SCO (OpenServer?)
Data General?

I'm not sure they all passed official B1 evaluation.

Digital mentions a B1 version several times on their web site,
but only documents plain 4.0D (and lower). The header files of
plain Digital Unix indicate some very interesting features.

SCO mentions the existance of a B1 version on some web pages
that are several years old.

> This severly limits the choice of what to clone. I don't know
> of any Unix which implements capability maps and is not B1 certified.
>
> In real live both operating systems are very rare in use;
> I've never seen one in real live.

I'd guess they are too expensive. The most useful feature would
be elimination of setuid. Linux distributions can enable that by
default without causing too much trouble. Maybe NFS is a problem.

> I guess both are missing the Bugtraq security bonus of widespread
> operating systems which makes their security's value somewhat dubious ...

The hope is that these systems can not be worse than the untrusted
versions of the same OS. It's not 100% true, but maybe almost true.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.048 / U:1.660 seconds]