SubjectRe: My memory is rusty
And lo, Warren Hughes saith unto me:
> ...I don't want to
> sound like I am talking down to you, I'm not...
You're definitely somethinging down to him, since you don't seem to
have read and understood his message.

> Regarding your
> statement that when you boot into your kernel, performance goes bad, it's
> probably just because you are trying to run programs that are "memory
> hogs" and of course, the way to solve that is to increase your RAM and
> processor power.
This doesn't explain why 2.0.33 doesn't exhibit this problem, nor does
it explain why it wouldn't reach a steady state once a full set of
memory hogs (if any) were loaded.

My take on the problem: recent patches have attempted to "fix" linux's
handling of the dynamic tension between the memory demands of running
programs and filesystem cache. These may not have "fixed" things
correctly for low-memory situations, so you could be seeing degraded
filesystem performance once enough programs start up, or degraded
VM performance once enough file data is read. Or they may have
improved things somewhat relative to other late 2.1 kernels but
the net change vs. 2.0 may still be a performance loss.

Keith

--
"The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com |"Zooty,
it is too late for the pebbles to |KDE: http://www.kde.org | zoot