SubjectRe: umsdos/uvfat

> And volume labelers, disk usage statistics programs, many AV programs that
> skip dos to avoid being affected by stealth viruses, fast catalog/find
> programs, directory sorters, disk editors, some copy protected programs and
> quite a few other things.

extremely true. And for those of us who use DOS 6.2, where are we to find
updated versions of the defraggers, disk editors, directory sorters,
volume labelers, etc... for --> DOS <-- that are lfn-aware and have all
the current features and configuration as our existing software. The
answer is we aren't, not without a great amount of effort that when
combined exceeds the amount of effort needed to fix umsdos by several
million times.

> Yes. As long as I do it all from linux I may just as well format it as ext2.

exactly!!!

There are about 5 or 6 programs for DOS that I can't part with. The Linux
equivilents are either non existant or too slow and incompatible. But they
don't work with DOSEMU or VFAT, and I like them to be able to read files
that I want to have both DOS and Linux read, but with permissions and
groups on Linux.

> Yes, lfn-aware tools for dos. I may as well get ext2tools and other
> ext2-aware tools for dos and get over that dos partition. Heck, I could put
> all on ext2 disk and boot dos from DOSEMU (which I tend to do most of the
> time, anyway. Unfortunatly not all stuff works, yet)
>
> The point is, why should users who never used nor intend to use win95 should
> be forced to use vfat and create a bunch of problems for themselves for no
> reason other than make things even more ugly and less usefull.

YES! Finally someone can tell this bozo what is going on!

> Sure, win95 users may find uvfat alternative more useful for them, but than,
> I think it should only be one of the alternatives. I for one am working
> actively to get umsdosfs back working in 2.1.x so it would be in 2.2.

separating the long filename data from the rest of it (permissions,
groups, times, etc) is only going to make it harder to all get back into
the same spot later on after moving files.

converting every FAT partition I encounter to vfat is a huge problem,
waste of time and convienience to me that if support for umsdos is dropped
from the kernel by some godforsaken act of stupidity I will have to
maintain it myself as a seperate patch until a better alternative comes
along.

You mention that you started using Linux at 2.0.0. Then obviously you
haven't been around long enough to see Linux without Win95. Believe me it
was a much nicer environment to live in before the loser pack came in and
started making decisions for kernel development, albeit stupid ones.

<OFFTOPIC RANT=1 COLOR="#ff0000">
This is totally off topic, but personally I don't really want tons of
popularity for Linux. From previous experience, keeping great things in
life a secret is generally better in the long term....just look at a place
like Hawaii....paradise until it turned into a Tourist Center. I have been
with Linux for a long, long time, because I love it's look and feel. No,
I'm not talking about it's GUI (fvwm-95, kde), I'm talking about the
beauty and power of the command line interface and virtual terminals. I
can get everything I want and more done faster and better than with cute
little icons everywhere. Don't get me wrong, GUIs are good for some
things like WYSIWYG word processing, but IMHO not web browsing (i'm
diehard lynx). Call me an old timer, but I'm not rooting for nasty-ass
Win95 "interfaces". Ugh..that's enough.
</OFFTOPIC>

Furthermore, there is a zero or negative advantage to uvfat over umsdos
for non-Win95 users. Why bother splitting the lfn and the --linux-.--- if
you are going to have a --linux-.--- file anyways. There is nothing good
about this unless you want to 'use' the useless long filenames in Win95.

you get my point

if you don't you must be a $#*! $!$*$&#@ $*#&!

Tru Dat!$!@