SubjectRe: Re[2]: Supermicro Motherboards
I haven't dealt with an adaptec since 2.0.x where x<=27 or so, since
due to crashes in the adaptec driver, every machine that had one
had it replaced with a Buslogic card at least 6mos to a year ago.

I haven't dealt with the real recent adaptec driver, though the one that
came in 2.0.30-redhat (redhat 4.2) was known to still be pretty bad.

With your excellent work (sorry, didn't recognize the author at first)
i'd trust Adaptec for desktop use at this point, but I'd do a LOT more
testing before using it on a server. (then again, *really* heavily
loaded servers should be using a DPT RAID board anyway...)

What I said about supermicro still stands (including the quality
being pretty awful); Asus makes excellent boards.

--Simon

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:
> Hmm...this kind of sentiment really is fairly normal for Linux users.
> However, I would just like to note that this sentiment is, IMNSHO,
> somewhat misplaced. The issue of whether or not an aic7xxx based card
> works decently for people is becoming less and less common, largely due
> to an untold number of hours that I have put into the driver over the
> last 4 to 6 months plus previous work leading up to this as long as 1 1/2
> years ago. You may want to see how your aic7xxx based controller works
> with my latest driver before recommending that someone else purchase one
> then purchase another controller without even trying it. You could end
> up needlessly costing someone an extra $100-$200 that way.

Simon Karpen slk@shodor.org
Sysadmin, Shodor Education Foundation

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.823 / U:0.044 seconds]