SubjectRe[2]: Supermicro Motherboards

> I'd get an Asus P2L97-DS, and disable the onboard adaptec SCSI and add
> either a Buslogic controller or an Asus SC875. (the Supermicro also
> has Adaptec SCSI, which sorta works under Linux, but not nearly as
> stable under heavy load as a Buslogic or NCR board)

Hmm...this kind of sentiment really is fairly normal for Linux users.
However, I would just like to note that this sentiment is, IMNSHO,
somewhat misplaced. The issue of whether or not an aic7xxx based card
works decently for people is becoming less and less common, largely due
to an untold number of hours that I have put into the driver over the
last 4 to 6 months plus previous work leading up to this as long as 1 1/2
years ago. You may want to see how your aic7xxx based controller works
with my latest driver before recommending that someone else purchase one
then purchase another controller without even trying it. You could end
up needlessly costing someone an extra $100-$200 that way.

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Opinions expressed are my own, but
they should be everybody's.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.051 / U:1.300 seconds]