SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

Please read again what you wrote and think about it:

Jes Degn Soerensen said:
>We may need some ioctl (if its not already there) to tell the
>console code not to perform any operation that involves the
>blitter when a user space application is controlling the
>display.
>
>DMA and interrupts is a different issue, if we want it we may
>need a more sophisticated kernel interface, as far as I can see
>it is a matter of specifying some simple API for that.

And in another message:
>You just need a way to assign keyboards in a similar fashion,
>but I don't really see that as being a graphics issue.

Seems to me that a) the current kernel interface is not complete
enough for the approach (do as much as possible in userland) you
propose and that b) you are proposing just what you say the KGI
part of GGI does (extending the kernel interface), but with the
additional disadvantage of doing it in an uncoordinated, random
way.

The GGI people and you agree in how things should be done (do as
much as possible in userland), and you both agree that kernel
extensions are necessary to enable these userland application to
do their work. But their proposal organizes the kernel
modifications in a more meaningful way. Plus they already have
the needed userspace emulation libraries ready.

Kristian

--
Kristian Koehntopp, Wassilystrasse 30, 24113 Kiel, +49 431 688897
"Frag mal, auf was fuer uptimes man kommt, wenn man Software-Entwicklung