SubjectRe: VFS 64-bit clean
On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

..

> Wouldn't it be better to make an "ext3" file-system that is a 64-bit
> version of the ext2 one? That way, everybody is happy and everything
> works.

I agree - allthough I am not contributing to kernel development, I want
to share my thoughts on the matter:

I wouldn't waste time trying to make amazingly clever ext2fs extensions
playing with reserved/unused bits in the structures. My feeling is that
the direction should be ext3fs (based on ext2fs)

It would only take someone with the balls to get things going and the
already known linux-gurus to give their input so that ext3fs gets
designed in a way that allows future enhancements without noticeable
performance degradation.

Comments? Flames?

--
Samuli Kaski, samkaski@cs.helsinki.fi
Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki, Finland.