    SubjectRe: VFS 64-bit clean
    On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > > I wouldn't waste time trying to make amazingly clever ext2fs extensions
    > > playing with reserved/unused bits in the structures. My feeling is that
    > > the direction should be ext3fs (based on ext2fs)
    >
    > While talking about ext3. I do not think it should be ext2 based. I do
    > not like linear searching for files ext2 does. (I made directory with
    > ~3000 files and it go slooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww, much too slow.)
    >
    > And - we need files >4G on ext2 *now*. Mj's smugfs is solution for us,
    > but other people probably would not like it, and it is _hack_.

    I agree, ext2fs has some serious shortcomings performance wise if it were
    moved to 64-bit. However, the scope of that project is much too large to
    handle and be done in a reasonable amount of time. I believe that there is
    an ext3fs project out and about right now (?) which is dealing with these
    issues. Personally, I'd support making a clean 64-bit ext3fs based
    directly off of ext2fs and moving the current ext3fs to ext4fs. The other
    advantage is that making a working 64-bit fs now (slow or not) can get the
    VFS layer 64-bit clean ASAP rather than waiting for a "better" 64-bit fs
    implementation.
    -Rob H.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:29.408 seconds]