SubjectRe: DHCPD v1.3 needs testing (fwd)
Date
> about providing a new API that can be used to better effect, but
> shutting down the existing API on a moment's notice just isn't kosher.

There wasn't an existing API. I was _horrified_ when I found out how broken
dhcpcd was in its way of working. And nobody changed an API, Alexey just
added some IP standards compliance which broke an application doing what
are basically broken things - although I can see why you did it that way.

> do away with the way Cox did. For years Cox insisted that BPF was
> not useful and refused to put it in - that's why I support the API I
> currently support.

BPF type stuff is in 2.1.x. It wasn't useful once. With 100Mbit cards and
the bigger stuff Linux 2.x versus Linux 1.x is doing it now does make sense
(actually it probably did for 2.0) - Jay wrote it and its in the kernel
but done somewhat better in API than the original - you can push filters
onto any socket - allowing stuff like user mode apps to do firewalling- it
works so much better when your inetd can read the hosts.deny list and tell
the kernel to block packets to this socket at entry not in userspace.

Someone has done a nice SOCK_PACKET based change to dhcpcd that seems to
work well for 2.1.x and 2.0.x

> The parallels to Microsoft's way of doing business are positively
> uncanny.

If I made you send me $500 for each time I break your program then maybe
you'd have a vague point. I also don't charge $99 an email for answering
queries or requests for fixes - although direct those to the current networking
maintainers rather than me

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.050 / U:0.564 seconds]