SubjectImmediate reboot during kernel init
Ok, i am new to the list, I have read the linux-kernel info and hopefully
i am asking in the correct fashion.

I had linux installed on a 486 PCI system in a multi OS setup (NT, Linux),
everything worked fine. I have just upgraded to an Intel 82430 TX (v1.0)
Motherboard with a 233Mhz MMX CPU and Award BIOS (still using the same 64
Megs os EDO and no other new hardware). Now my kernel wont boot, it get's
about 20 to 25 lines into the init (it goes real fast so i cannot see what
the error is) and then it immediately, with out any delay or oops,
reboots the system.

So I put the old MB/CPU in and tried recompiling the (2.1.86) kernel with
some more specific PCI settings (thinking maybe it was crashing during PCI
scan for some reason). It still did not work. I then got out my old 2.0.29
boot disk that i used to install (always keep my rescue disks), this still
encountered the same exact problem.

I then went and grabbed about 6 older (1.0.9 to 2.0.9) kernel images, only
to find these had the same problems. Afterwards I mosied over to redhat's
site and d/l's their 5.0 boot disk, since it claimed to support TX/VX
motherboards and even had an option to boot into "expert" so as to skip
PCI scanning altogether. As you might have guessed, this also had the same
result.

Details:
1. I stripped the system to bare basics to make sure it was not some
other hardware. This left it with 32 Megs RAM. an S3Virge PCI 4 Megs video
card, a floppy, serial mouse, keyboard, and no hd's. Problem persisted,
2. I have NT 4 Workstation installed as the main (but least used) OS and
it works fine, no errors, no crashes (amazingly it has had several days
uptime on the new system), also I had the MB/CPU replaced to make sure
there were no real problems. So I know there is nothing wrong with the new
MB/CPU.
3. I have tried atleast a dozen pre-built kernels/bootdisks.

Conclusions (however dumb):
Either I need to configure something in my CMOS/BIOS (possible), I have
found a kernel bug that has persisted almost all the source tree's (very
unlikely) or I have a motherboard that was designed with a bug (also
unlikely since NT works).

Any help is appreciated.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.268 / U:0.200 seconds]