SubjectRe: small bug in memory_lseek()
Hi Dave,

> The gdb code above lseeks within /proc/nnnn/mem, which is handled by
> mem_lseek in fs/proc/mem.c. It produces the same dilemma as the code
> in dribers/char/mem.c though, and they ought to behave consistently.

Ah, I failed to appreciate that distinction.

This problem is an iceberg. So much hidden depth. :-/

I agree that both /dev/kmem and /proc/nnnn/mem ought to lseek the
same way, whatever way that is. There are two plausible candidates
for what to return when the input is in the high half of the space.

I think you have to go read standards documents, make a decision,
document the decision in the code, and then fix any userland programs
that need fixing.

Or if Linus has an opinion, then we just do what Linus says. :)

The man page needs some more text too.

Regards,

Michael Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.030 / U:0.204 seconds]