    SubjectStrange System Behavior
    Folks,
    I recently bought my first PC, however, I've been working with
    Unix for many years so this is not a newbe situation. Since I got
    it I have had nothing but strange problems with it which I so far
    been unable to determine whether they are hardware problems or
    software. I have run diagnostics on the hardware and I've brought
    the system back once already and there doesn't seem to be any obvious
    hardware problems, but yet the system will not stay up more that 24
    hours. First I'll describe the hardware then I'll list the various
    problems I've encountered.

    Motherboard: ASUS Dual Pentium II (350Mhz) w/ on board SCSI
    1 4.3 GB disk
    1 9 GB disk
    1 5.1 IDE disk
    Matrox G200 video card
    Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card
    Eexpress pro 100 Ethernet card

    I have RH5.2 + 2.1.130 kernel loaded on the IDE drive.

    Here are the problems I see in no particular order.

    1) When I build the kernel it takes about 10 - 20 tries to get it to
    build. This is due to the compiler terminating with sigsegv or
    other error. I'm using the gcc-2.7.2.3-14 compiler.

    2) I will run make and make will lock up, i.e. it becomes an unkillable
    process, and my only resort is to shutdown and reboot the box.
    This problem looks like a traditional deadlock scenario. The wait
    channel field in the ps output always shows end as the address it
    is waiting on.

    3) The system will lockup. This occurs even if the system has been
    idle. It will be working when I go to bed, and be locked up in
    the morning. By locked up I mean no keyboard or mouse input works
    for my X session, and any attempt to ping or telnet from another
    box fails. Sometimes ping will work, but not telnet. Obviously
    switching to an alternate console fails. This has occured whether
    or not I am running xscreensaver.

    4) Various processes will terminate with sigsegv while running. e.g.
    xterm's will simply go away, or I'll be logged off my xsession
    completely.

    5) At various times during the boot sequence I will get various oops
    regarding either NULL pointer dereference or problems accessing
    various virtual addresses.

    6) On at least 2 occasions CPU 1 has panic'd with the following:

    Attempted to kill the idle task!

    7) I'm getting lots of messages of the form:

    schedule_timeout: wrong timeout value <some val> from <some ptr>

    in /var/log/messages

    My question is has anyone had any success running an ASUS dual pentium
    motherboard along with a Matrox G200 video card ( using the matrox X
    server from SuSe)?

    If not, does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can best debug these
    problems, or better yet does anyone have fixes :-)?

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Paolo
    --