SubjectNotes on CONFIG_SMP conversion
Hi kernel hackers,

2.1.132 has CONFIG_SMP in it (woo hoo!) I have some notes about it.

The Documentation/Configure.help snippet evaporated. I assume it
melted down in the Nuclear Penguin Mailbox and I will re-send it
to Linus shortly.

If you have already patched your own kernel to disable SMP, and you
apply patch-2.1.132 on top of that, you will get a reject. This
is sad and ironic, but true. Restore your Makefile to its *pristine*
2.1.131 state and apply the Makefile patch. Or apply the reject by hand,
just nuke out that one paragraph.

The default value of CONFIG_SMP is "y". If you carry forward your
configuration, check your .config file to make sure you pick up
the value you want if you don't want the default. "make oldconfig"
does this properly but not everyone uses make oldconfig.

This is a one-time transition about where this value lives. It does
affect the "kernel hacker interface" to the source code slightly, but
definitely for the better. After this, CONFIG_SMP lives in your
.config file where it belongs.

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.047 / U:0.064 seconds]