    SubjectRe: fbdev and S3 chips
    SK> could this not be done like some of the soundcards
    SK> just download the bios using a special ioctl
    SK> then no dos required to boot linux (which kind of sticks in my thoat)

    No. In the case of VESA, the VESA BIOS is used to initialize the video
    card to use linear frambuffer. Then the loaded BIOS is discarded and
    linux uses the linear framebuffer.

    You can't use real mode BIOS inside protected mode kernel. At least with
    todays design, and I see no point of putting some real mode emulation in
    protected mode kernel, better write some new good drivers.

    --
    Meelis Roos (mroos@tartu.cyber.ee)