SubjectRe: Linux and lots of memory: documentation?
On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 10:52:00PM +0000, Riley Williams wrote:
> > * IF YOU CHANGE THIS, PLEASE ALSO CHANGE
> > *
> > * arch/i386/vmlinux.lds
> > *
> > * which has the same constant encoded..
>
> I have to admit that I'd missed that comment, and I don't know enough
> about the ld scripting language to patch the said file anyway, so that
> patch has to be regarded as being incomplete as a result...
>
> Perhaps somebody could give me a quick run-through of the ld scripting
> language, then I should be able to deal with that aspect of it as
> well...

Well, you don't need to understand the ld script. Just look out for the
constant 0xc0000000 and replace it with the value you chose. Hint: It's in
line 9 and just gives the starting address of the kernel.

My kernels have 0x7000000 since a couple of months and it works fine. I only
have 128MB, though ...

--
Kurt Garloff <K.Garloff@ping.de> (Dortmund, FRG)
PGP key on http://student.physik.uni-dortmund.de/homepages/garloff

There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux
development. I.e. the quality is too high and the speed is too high, in
other words, I can implement this XXXX feature, but I bet someone else
has already done it and is just about to release his patch to Linus soon...
[From a posting of Tigran Aivazian to linux-kernel, XXXX = disk stat]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.117 / U:0.148 seconds]