SubjectLinux and lots of memory: documentation?
Howdy,

I'm trying to track down information regard how Linux handles memory. I've
got a 4GB system, and the stock 2.1.131 kernel only uses about 970M of that
memory. I'd like Linux to be able to access as much of that physical memory
as possible.

I've been able to find very little information regarding this topic, other
than the comments in include/asm-i386/page.h. I was hoping you could point
me towards a resource that might answer the following questions:

(1) How is __PAGE_OFFSET actually used? The page.h comments aren't clear on
this. They suggest *how* to change the value, but not *why*.

(2) Is it possible, under Linux, to access 4GB of physical of memory? Or
is some of that address space always required for memory mapped
i/o?

(3) Is it possible to make this process more modular? That is, is there
any way to make Linux happily support whatever memory happens to
be available?

Thanks for your help,

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman * lars@bu.edu * (617)353-5228
Department of Computer Science, Boston University