SubjectKernel Compilation Project - status update
Kernel Compilation Project  - Status update
This document tries to give a brief update about the Kernel Compilation
Project.

In the last weeks, a lot of small but anoying bugs are fixed (bug thanks to
Alan Cox for pointing me in the right direction) and a most fixes are in
the AC-series. For some problems I have a solution but it is not "nice
enough" to be in mainstream kernel.

Results
-------
Yesterday, I ran a series of compiles on 2.1.131ac7 + my fixes, and about
75% of the compiles was succesfull (BIG improvement, for example 2.1.125
compiled in about 3%). For the Kernel Compilation Project to work, this has
to go up to (at least) 95%. Until that time, no distributed system is
workable since a _LOT_ of the same bugs will be reported.

Remaining bugs
--------------

* ISDN subsystem
+ The ISDN-subsystem calls icmp_send for a broken link; it shouldn't
since TCP/IP is not always available (violation of OSI-layers)
+ Several HiSax-drivers depend on PPP for a CRC-table. This table is
used very often, I think it should get it's own file
+ There is a nameclash between the act2000-isdn card and the
hisax-drivers about a "cards" structure
+ ISDN_PPP depends on TCP/IP for VJ-header compression. Shouldn't since
TCP/IP isn't always available (for example, for security-reasons)
+ The ISDN-subsytem doesn't compile if CONFIG_NET isn't set
(Would be great for an old 386 to serve as answering machine)

* PPP
+ PPP depends on TCP/IP for header-compression; same reasons as for ISDN

* HFMODEM
+ several drivers depend on the CRC-table of PPP; needs it's own file
+ "hfmodem_refclock_setscale" is called but neither I nor my compiler
can find it

* IrDA
+ Has several strange things (ac8 should fix; my machine is busy :-)

* HDLCdrv
+ Fails if AX25 is compiled as a module but hdlcdrv isn't

* linking-order
+ Several drivers depend on a linking order in the toplevel Makefile.
Strange things going on here... Can give examples if someone feels
like fixing these.

* Radio-MIROPCM20
+ depends on the lowlevel-sound ACI-driver, but this one is asked later
in the 'make config' process (yuck!)

* Misc config
+ CONFIG_SDLA must be compiled as a Module
+ Promise DC4030 depends on CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK
+ HIPPI depends on TCP/IP

Time to go fix :-)
Help appriciated! (.config-files available on request)

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.103 / U:22.128 seconds]