SubjectRe: Volume Managers in Linux
Date
> Please, Can anoyone explain to me why you want to create separate filesystems
> for / /usr /tmp/ /var /home. I really cant find any use for this! and I am
> speking from over 10 yrs of experinece with lost of different unix systems
> here. And what I want is reliable systems that dont fail because some
> filesystem that went full.

I mostly agree that it's generally more bothersome than anything else to have
multiple partitions. But there are a few things you shouldn't forget:
- LVM (with a correspondingly growable/shrinkable filesystem) allows you to
do partitioning while avoiding most of the hassle since it can be done at
run time. Partition become mere sanity limits you want to have checked
(or separate domains you want to keep separate for various reasons such as
failure-containment)
- even in your example you do end up with the hassle of partitions since
you have the swap and the filesystem. With good LVM support you can
shrink/grow the swap without rebooting.
All of this is pretty much irrelevant for the usual Linux-instead-of-windows
user, but for Linux installations where multi-user support is an issue and
where rebooting is a pain, LVM is really good. But it's mostly useless without
the ability to grow filesystems, and only shows all its power when the
filesystem can also be shrunk.

Stefan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.373 / U:1.584 seconds]