    SubjectGUS sound / SMP problem

    I am getting strange behaviour with my GUS when running under a 2.1.12x
    kernel but only when compiled for SMP.

    I have tried kernels 2.1.126 through 2.1.129 and all give the following
    symptom: Under very light load no problem. When moderately loaded
    (nicing a couple of compute intensive jobs, or just starting x windows) it
    starts to develope a strange mechanical buzz sound on top of the playing
    music (ie with mpg123). Once this "mode" starts, it will usually not stop
    until I clost the sound application and restart it. I get the kernel
    message : "GUS Warning: PCM buffers out of sync" in the file gus_wave.c .
    Again, I get no problems, even when heavily loading the processor (except
    a few skips when the load gets way to high) on the uni-processor version
    of the same kernel. I have been compiling all sound as modules in both
    cases. Compiler was gcc .

    Dual Pentium 166 MMX running on a TYAN TOMCAT III, 96 MBytes RAM
    Gravis Ultrasound (Classic variety)

    I am guessing it is a simple problem with locking(or lack there of), but I
    don't understand enough about this driver to be of much help in the

    -Walter Brisken (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.025 / U:0.744 seconds]