SubjectRe: Linux 2.0.36pre22
In article <19981114220248.1635.qmail@toyland.ping.de> you write:

>Hm, what makes me not so happy is, that one needs new isdn4kutils for the
>new 2.0.36pre kernels. Ok, upgrading is not really a problem, but
>needing completely new user-level programs for isdn between 2.0.35
>and the long awaited 2.0.36 (or even between two adjacent 2.0.36pre)
>is a thing, people will be not happy about.

Many people were not happy with the autodial feature that was the only
possibility in 2.0.35 and earlier (large phone bills can be disturbing,
which has happened to some people; the problem is that ISDN dial out
quite silently where a modem will click and beep). Manual dialling (and
hanging up) is now the default, so you should be able to make a
connection with your old utilities.

Actually, the only thing that you really need to upgrade in the
utilities is the `isdnctrl' program, which has the setting of the
dialmode added to it. I'll see whether I can convince the other
isdn4linux people to package the isdnctrl source separately.

Of course, you can always expect things to change between prepatches,
as they're sort of a developer's release...

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands