SubjectRe: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.981114212737.5461A-100000@chaos.analogic.com> you wrote:

> write an Intel extension to GAS or if you think my talents would
> be better served by writing some assembly-language for some Linux-
> kernel procedures.

Probably, your talent would be better used learning to
use nasm, since it seems to do what you want.

On the code you published, I have a two points.

Why don't you compare it with the gas code already in
the Linux kernel? Since this routine has already been
programmed in the assembler in Linux you are preaching
to the converted, unless you can show that your version
is faster.

It is generally thought a bad idea to publish uncopyrighted
code, because your no-warranty disclaimer can be removed by
redistributors. But then it is also thought a bad idea to
post as root or program large pieces of code in assembler,
so I guess you don't care what is generally thought.

> Also, check out the source, in particular the code-generator,
> codestream.c, which generates codestream.S. There are GAS bugs
> (features?) I had to work-around.

Did you report the bugs to GNU?

--
Erik Corry erik@arbat.com Ceterum censeo, Microsoftem esse delendam!