Subjectglobal kernel lock
  Hi, all. I happened to be looking at some system calls (read(2) for
example) and I noticed that the global kernel lock is still being
grabbed. Looking further, I noticed that a context switch should
release the lock, so one process blocked reading a slow device should
not prevent another process from reading another device.

However, it looks like with an SMP machine that two processes can't
concurrently read, say, a regular file and a fast (non-sleeping)
device, since only one process can own the global kernel lock. I was a
little surprised at this, since I thought we'd pretty much gotten rid
of the global kernel lock in 2.1.x. Although, I have to admit I
haven't been paying close attention.

I have two simple questions:

- is my reading of the code correct

- does anyone have removing this on their ToDo for 2.3?

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.080 / U:0.748 seconds]