SubjectRe: New Solaris 7 features
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > - Arithmetic computations get to use 64-bit registers and operations
> >
> > Except on the half of the ultrasparcs, where 64bit stuff is
> > mostly disabled because of CPU bugs ;) (See Bugtraq)
> >
> Maybe it's beyond the scope of this mailing list, but:
> How can I check whether an Ultra workstation running SunOS 5.7
> uses 64bit features instead of workarounds based on the old
> 32bit functionality? I would like to get an algorithm to
> identify these broken CPUs.

Its easy. If you have UltraSPARC I, you loose with Solaris (Linux will have
a workaround), if you have II or IIi, you can run 64bit apps just fine.

Jakub Jelinek | |
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
Ultralinux - first 64bit OS to take full power of the UltraSparc
Linux version 2.1.127 on a sparc64 machine (498.80 BogoMips).