Subjectbridging fix? Which (fwd)
Date
[Cc: to linux-kernel, in case some other network guru knows and alan
is busy]

Hello Alan

I know you finally found and fixed the bridging code leak somewhere in
the recent 2.0.36pre series or just before. But I haven't been able to
figure out what the fix was, by inspection. I would be deeply grateful
if you could tell me what the line or lines was .. I think some
intrepid soul managed to find the line that did the damage using the
memleak patches.

I saw the leak first on a server I had at 2.0.33. P100 with 3c905
and buslogic fast and wide. It went down in a week serving NFS. You
steered me to the cause and workaround.

I disabled bridging on the kernel (it only had one card) and it became
stable as a rock.

At the same time - several months ago now - I took the kernel and put it
in the server next door to it, P200 with a 3c900 and adaptec fast and
narrow. That has been stable as anything. Same binary kernel. Not
much NFS load.

Now I (by mistake) took the same binary kernel and put it in a PP200
serving heavy NFS through a single 3c905 on a 100BT net with adaptec
fast and wide scsi. That went down in 24 hours with all it's 128M
memory used up - no user space usage to speak off. It was running
mrouted and an mbone tunnel when it died.

It was clearly "network buffer" leakage. But I tried _enabling_ its
dormant bridging code near the end, and it went down in 20 minutes.
When it came back up fresh I tried the enable again, and it went down
again in about 10 mins while I watched - with lots of network pauses.
It's now looking stable on a recompiled kernel without bridging, same
configuration otherwise.

I would love to have just the fix for this as a patch. I know that's
too much to ask, so I'm asking just to be clued in on the eureka that
solved this.

Thank you if you can manage that ...

Peter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.268 / U:0.052 seconds]