    SubjectRe: Process Migration on Linux - Impossible?
    Date
    I'm not on this list, but reference.com turned up my name and pointed
    me at the thread about process migration.

    I must take exception to Larry's comment that migration is a bad idea
    but remote execution is great. I agree that remote execution
    (parallel make etc.) is wonderul. But just because migration is
    difficult doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I had a full-functioned
    implementation of transparent process migration in Sprite almost 10
    years ago. It made the system useable for a wider range of
    applications than you can get with something like Condor -- which,
    contrary to some other messages in this thread, is not a process
    migration facility, it's a remote excution facility with
    checkpointing. Much of the extra work you need to go to in order to
    get that level of transparency is exactly what you need to support
    full migration rather than just remote execution.

    By the way, the reference to my own thesis was about Zayas's work on
    copy-on-reference, if I understand correctly -- anyone wanting more
    info should check out SOSP-11 (1987).

    Fred Douglis <http://www.research.att.com/~douglis/>
    PGP Fingerprint: E9 F8 BF BE 52 D6 07 A6 D9 D5 28 B8 20 46 D5 1E

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.096 / U:1.024 seconds]